CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 23, 2009

My Friday...


Well I had the scare of my life. I think I have mentioned before that I am allergic to latex. As a general rule I get hives and itchy and my allergy med clears it right up. Well Friday morning I bought a wrist band for a charity jeans week we are having and opened it without even thinking since the one I wear is silicone. There must have either been latex in the band or a latex powder on it for shipping. Well with in 5 minutes I was getting my typical symptoms so I took a pill. With in the hour it was getting bad again and my tongue felt a little itchy so I talked to my supervisor and headed to the closest medi center thiking I needed a shot of benedryl or something.

I had to travel a mere 13 blocks and I grabbed a bus and by the time I was there so less than 5 minutes I was having trouble swallowing. They took me right back and I was starting to have a little trouble breathing and my pulse was up to 122. They gave me a shot of benedryl and it kept things from getting worse but did not settle it down. They ended up having to give me a shot of epinephrine which did the trick. I then got sent to the ER incase I had a rebound reaction and to be monitored for any side effects from the shot.

I did have a slight rebound but another shot of benedryl did the trick. I was also given prednisone and sent home with three days worth to take along with my allergy meds to prevent another rebound. I also have a script for an epi-pen which I will now always have to carry.
I was soooo scared! I'm glad they got it undercontrol. They told me that the allergy med I took very likley could have saved my life because it slowed the anaphalaxis down and with not knowing it was a possiblity by the time I got help it may have been to late.

Today I am fine... slept lots yesterday once I was released. I have to go and get my epi-pen today and ugh its $104 but I think my life is worth it lol

1 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.